Monday, March 5, 2012

To catch you up til now

We started in the fall 2011 with the basic core curriculum.  We were mainly focusing on reading, math, and handwriting, and including a number of random crafts.  Our reading/phonics curriculum that we've been using is 'The Ordinary Parent's Guide To Teaching Reading'.  Madeline has totally taken off with it!  She started reading shortly after her 4th birthday, and soon after that we started on this book.  It is a simple design that focuses on phonics and should have the child reading at a 4th grade level when completed.  We are more than half-way through, doing 1-2 lessons, 3-5x a week.  She will even read through the instructors directions!  I cannot say enough good things about this book. 

 For math, we used Singapore Early Bird Book 2, which is designed for the second half of Kindergarten, and actually completed it today.  Tomorrow we will begin Singapore Math 1A, which is a 2-part design (1A and 1B) for first grade.  I'm a bit nervous since this is at first grade level, but I suppose part of the beauty of homeschooling is adjusting the curriculum for the child's needs.  It just sounds weird to me that she is doing some first grade work since she is technically not even of Kindergarten age.  Whatever... as long as she understands it.  We can always take as much time as we need in a certain area if it is a bit too complex or speed through another area that she has mastered.

We also used Handwriting Without Tears.  She zoomed through the Kindergarten book, Letters and Numbers for Me, and we are now working on My Printing Book.  I do like the books, it just seems there needs to be more practice space.  She could easily do a few pages at a time and I would not like to move through the book so quickly.  We haven't used the workbook in about a month now.  Even though her handwriting has improved greatly, I feel she needs more practice with lowercase letters before continuing on in the first grade level.  She is currently writing thank you notes from her recent  birthday.  

We have been pretty lax and unstructured in homeschooling so far.  I've been doing my best to make it fun and not feel like a chore.  Madeline gets very excited about school and I want to keep that upbeat vibe as long as possible.  I frequently had to remind myself that she was only 4 and shouldn't be pushed into any subject, even though she seemed capable of handling more.  There were a few challenging days in which we'd be doing a reading lesson, for example, and she'd start on with a big attitude if there was a word she didn't want to sound out.  I would tell her that we'd finish the lesson later when we can have more fun with it, and she always came around. I've noticed her stubborn side and determination blossom since starting our adventure, and I like them both.

I had recently ordered our Kindergarten curriculum, intending to start in the fall of 2012.  She got so excited about Science and the other subjects that we started last week.  I'll make another post as to what our K curriculum is currently.

That leads me to one thing that really does confuse me about homeschooling..... what grade is she in?  Did we just start Kindergarten in February.... or is she considered 1st grade based on material content?  She is academically ready for 1st grade, but if she were in the school system, she would not be socially ready. Should I wait until fall to declare her as a kindergartener so she'll be even with other kids her age?  Or do we just have an off scheduling of grade level beginning each Feb/March?  I guess we'll figure that out as we go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment