Friday, August 31, 2012

First poem memorization

Lesson 2 in FLL (First Language Lessons) is introducing poem memorization.  For the first day, you are to read the poem to the student and discuss it before working on memorization.  Then, read the poem aloud 3x in a row.  Repeat the 3x reading twice more during the day.  On the second day, and each day thereafter until it is memorized, repeat the triple reading once during the day.  Also, on and after the second day, ask the student to repeat parts of the poem that they know along with you as you read it aloud.

This morning, I read "The Caterpillar" to Madeline 3 times in a row.  I told her to close her eyes and open her ears and try to visualize what the poem was about. A few more times during the day, I said the same thing and did the triple reading.  After dinner, she told me to close my eyes and open my ears so she could read the poem to me 3x in a row.  Then, I told her to try and say any parts she could remember aloud with me.  The first time through, she didn't say anything, just listened.  She asked me to do it again... and she said most of it with me.  I encouraged her to do it on her own, and she did!  She was so excited and had an awesome spark in her eyes as she realized she just recited the entire poem!  Of course, she had to repeat it for Jake and Travis, too.  When I tucked her in bed a few hours later, she repeated it again.  I'm so looking forward to the morning to see how much she remembers.

Here is the poem:


The Caterpillar
Christina G. Rossetti

Brown and furry
Caterpillar in a hurry; 
Take your walk
To the shady leaf, or stalk.

May no toad spy you,
May the little birds pass by you; 
Spin and die,
To live again a butterfly.

No comments:

Post a Comment