Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Nice lady adds a smile to my day

I took the kids to a Spanish class the other day at the library.  When the class was over, they wanted to play in the kids' area.  Travis was very occupied at the train table, of course, and Madeline was doing a puppet show with some other kids.  I started talking with one of the moms about random, everyday type of things.   She eventually asked how old Madeline is, if she'll be starting Kindergarten in the fall, and where she'll be going to school.

I sometimes panic at that question.  Not because I'm ashamed or embarrassed or anything... I'm actually quite proud, but because I never know how a person will react. Their opinions don't necessarily matter much to me, it's just that sometimes I feel like I need to defend myself or that I'm expected to explain my reasons.  I know I don't actually need to explain anything to anyone, especially to a perfect stranger.  When I say that we homeschool, some people look at me weird, then look at my kids with pity, others smile and say "that's great, but I could never do it", and then there are those who are basically home education cheerleaders.  I really like those people :)   When I don't feel like getting into a conversation about it, my 'go to' answer to where she will go to school is, "She's districted for xxxx school."  In Lexington, you are districted for a certain school, but you can apply to one of the many out of area schools, so most people understand that response and leave it alone.

Anyway, while talking to this nice lady, I thought briefly about giving her my 'go to' answer since I was suffering from mega allergies and just didn't feel like getting a crazy lady look.  I decided at that very moment that I will no longer care what people's reaction might be and told her the truth.  I was shocked when her eyes lit up, her body language moved towards me, and she said, "Good for you!  More power to you!!"  She told me it was my super power, which then made me laugh and forget about feeling crummy for a few minutes.  It also reminded me of a picture of a t-shirt a friend sent me awhile ago:


So... I would just like to say thank you, nice lady, for making me smile.  You probably have no idea what kind of impact your kind words had on me that day.

2 comments:

  1. First I want to say I love reading your blog. Second, when I was homeschooling, I had that same dread. I love the superpower shirt! After trying homeschool for a year, my view of it is much broader than before. I realize how great it is for your children and how hard it is for the parents, especially the main educator. People don't realize what a huge commitment it is and that it is a lifestyle change for your entire family.

    ReplyDelete