Thursday, April 26, 2012

Trav's first dental visit

Both kids went to the dentist today for a cleaning.  I must admit, I was a little nervous about how Travis would do since this was his first visit.  There was a period of time, which lasted on and off for about a year (he's only 2-1/2), where we could hardly even brush his teeth.  I kid you not when I say I would hold him down long enough to rub the toothbrush quickly over his teeth.  He's done much better the past few months brushing himself and then letting me brush though.  

Madeline had her teeth cleaned first, and did a wonderful job.  That was to be expected since she's never had a problem at the dentist.  It probably helps that her first dental check-up was at my work, where I was assisting the dentist, and gave her chocolate cake afterwards.  A bit counter-productive perhaps, but at least it wasn't a crazy first dental experience like ones I've heard about from former patients.  Anyway, Travis watched her and saw how calm she was in the chair.  Then it was his turn.  He layed down, opened his mouth, and was perfect.  He didn't seem nervous at all.  I was beyond proud of my little big boy!


Mr. Cool



Madeline did have a small cavity.  While that was getting filled, Travis and I went back to the waiting room.  There, I was completely guilty of listening in on another person's discussion about how her daughter has a full ride scholarship to Morehead State University.  Then I heard her say she homeschooled her daughter from K-12.  The daughter has almost completed her freshman year and has had zero issues transitioning, despite never attending a public institution.  Even though this is a one case scenario, I couldn't help but smile and feel rejuvenated.  I would have loved to have talked to this lady, but the dentist called me over to discuss Maddie's x-rays instead.

The kids picked out bouncy balls as their prize for being so awesome, and Madeline is already wondering when we can go back.  I may have a future dentist or two on my hands.

2 comments:

  1. It’s really good to hear from your children that they’re looking forward to their next dental visit! It only proves that they’re not afraid of going to the dentist! Well, Kudos to your two kids for behaving well during the checkup. They both deserve a big reward!

    >Kaley Baum

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brave little boy. If only every other kid would be just like him, the procedure would be smooth and easy. :) He even had his shades on. Haha! You must be really proud of him, Kelly!

    Janelle Forman

    ReplyDelete